Men’s Healthcare Age 50+: What You Need to Know
Physicians are used to prompting patients to take proactive steps toward long-term healthcare goals, but there may be an argument for male patients needing an additional push. This is certainly not to say that all men avoid appointments with their doctor, because that is not the case. However, should you as a male patient or as a family member/friend of a male patient be aware that annual exams are not being attended to, this blog post is for you.
When men reach the age of 50, certain health screenings that only seemed relevant for the distant future become expected. Your physician will want to determine if any medical issues are currently present, as well as if any preventative measures should be taken.
Pacific Family Practice has provided a checklist, below, for you to review with your provider. This checklist will serve as a guide for which screenings are needed to ensure your individual long-term healthcare.
- Up-to-date vaccination schedule (especially applicable to certain travel destinations)
- Flu vaccine (1/year starting in October)
- Lifestyle/diet assessment (1/year at least)
- Blood pressure screening (1/year at least)
- Cholesterol screening (every 5 years, unless otherwise required)
- Colonoscopy (starts at age 50, but may be required if a family/personal history of colon cancer is present; occurs every 10 years unless otherwise required)
- Physical (1/year)
- Self-testicular exam
- Lung cancer screening (with a history of 30-pack/year habit or currently smoking)
- Dental exam (2/year at least)
How do I get started?
It can seem overwhelming to begin the preventative screening process once you’ve reached age 50, but please keep in mind that these screenings can be completed over the course of a year (unless your provider suggested otherwise). The best way to begin is to schedule an appointment for a general physical with Pacific Family Practice. Scheduling an appointment with our practice is easy: you can either call us at 415-876-5762 or fill out a contact form online. Our office practice hours are 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Pacific Family Practice is happy to offer patients in need of outside screening services or care a referral whenever possible. Please ask our team for referral assistance if outside care is needed.